PVD Young Makers x FabNewport
Makerspace/ Youth Development Coach
Makerspace/ Youth Development Coach
Position Title: Makerspace/Youth Development Coach
PVD Young Makers seeks an energetic, community-minded person to work with youth in the Providence Community Libraries. This person will work with a team including full-time staff, teen interns and librarians supporting youth in developing their creative interests. This person should be excited about inspiring youth to pursue their lives as curiosity-driven adventures.
Ideal candidates are life-long learners, entrepreneurial, and eager to catalyze change.
PVD Young Makers supports students in part by providing access to technologies in a variety of areas including 2D and 3D design, coding, running small machines such as 3D printers and vinyl cutters. We are willing to train a person committed to supporting youth and growing a community of makers, artists, entrepreneurs, and activists.
PVD Young Makers is a City of Providence funded initiative, involved with the Department of Arts, Culture, & Tourism, that started in 2018 to provide youth with access to 21st Century tools and technology. Programming runs in all Providence public libraries. Learning pathways are student-centered and self-driven. Students earn badges and are encouraged to make a
Our Mission: To inspire the maker in all of us.
Our Vision: For all students to have the skills, confidence and commitment to positively impact their communities and make their lives.
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Passion for working with urban youth & community
- Experience and passion for making
- Interest in transforming the learning landscape through relationship building, making and community connecting. Active member of the Providence community.
Spanish-speaking is a plus.
Site location for member placement:
- Providence Community Libraries as assigned- 9 neighborhood locations
- Providence Public Library – 150 Empire St. Providence, RI 02903
- At times we meet virtually with the rest of the team for curriculum planning and development
- Virtual meetings with community partners
Responsibilities associated with this position include:
- Executing partner based and library STEAM based programming for PVD Young Makers
- Providing support for librarians and students in developing and implementing new innovative learning opportunities
- Creating safe physical and emotional spaces for students to explore and develop innovative learning opportunities as well as grow Agency, Identity & Competencies
- Supporting our mission toward anti-racism, racial justice, equity, inclusion, access, and community collaboration
- Growing relationships with our staff, students and potential community partners Documenting growth & success of our programs (data will consist of qualitative project examples and feedback from instructors, students, and families, as well as quantitative numbers ie. students served, events held)
- Creating content, posting, engaging, and growing PVDYM’s social media presence with a team of interns and PVDYM staff.
- Exploring additional skill sets through professional development and training with our staff
The ideal candidate will:
- Have varied professional experience in art, design, entrepreneurship, teaching, mentoring, or community engagement
- Demonstrate perseverance, resilience, and comfort with ambiguity
- Enjoy spending time with 10-18+ year olds
- Be flexible and willing to explore design process / multiple iterations of projects
- Demonstrate basic understanding of the educational and social development of middle & high school students
- Exhibit a passion for developing, implementing and improving curricula that is informed by best practices and cultural relevance
- Have prior knowledge or demonstrable willingness to utilize materials like wood, cardboard, styrofoam, paper mache, metal, hard tech (machines), programming, etc.
- Interest in identifying students’ passions in order to help them engage in opportunities to further grow their skills
- Be active in seeking and creating connections and partnerships in Providence and Rhode Island
On-the-job training opportunities:
- Gaining proficiency in one or more of the following: 3D printers, vinyl cutters, laser cutters, heat presses, sewing machines, coding, and Dash Robots
- Assisting with collecting and maintaining attendance and program outcomes
- Promoting PVD Young Makers programs and successes in and out of the library setting
- Mentoring small groups of 3-10 students at a time
- Addressing individual and group needs
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Send your resume and cover letter to:
Rachel Dewey, Deputy Director